The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

April 21, 2013

Fire destroys White Deer Township home of family of 7

By Robert Stoneback
ScienceNOW

NEW COLUMIBA —  A fire caused by a space heater destroyed a White Deer Township double-wide home Saturday night, displacing a family of seven.

Firefighters from White Deer Township, Milton, Warrior Run, Lewisburg and Mifflinburg fire departments were dispatched to 1645 Pleasant View Road around 8:09 p.m. Jim Messinger, White Deer Township fire chief, said that the fire spread to two bedrooms of the home and had begun encroaching on the living room. There was extensive smoke and heat damage in much of the household.

“There was a heavy amount of fire coming from the back of the house,” he said.

The fire was under control in about 20 minutes, and the firefighters worked at the site for another hour.

Messinger said he did not have the name of the family.

Members of the household declined to speak on the matter Sunday afternoon, saying only that everyone who lived there was safe.

According to Messinger, the family said sparks began coming off of the space heater and caused a fire under a dresser. They were unable to put out the fire and fled from the house.

Messinger did not yet have a damage estimate, but said the family had insurance.

A local Red Cross chapter is providing lodging for the family, he said.

n Email questions or comments to rstoneback@dailyitem.com.