The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

March 25, 2013

Lewisburg stabbing suspect jailed; Milton teen critically injured

By Ashley Wislock
The Daily Item

LEWISBURG —  A Lewisburg man told police he was defending himself when he stabbed a Milton man early Saturday morning at an apartment in the 200 block of St. John Street.

Sean Russavage, 31, of Lewisburg, was charged with aggravated assault, terroristic threats, possession of an instrument of crime and two counts of simple assault, according to court documents. The Milton man, Marcus Cotto, 19, remains in critical condition at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville.

Russavage was arrested and arraigned on the charges Saturday morning. He is in the Union County Jail in lieu of $50,000 bail. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Thursday before District Judge Leo Armbruster at the Union County Courthouse.

According to court documents, Cotto and several friends were visiting at a friend an apartment above Russavage’s apartment Friday night.

The friend who lived in the apartment spent much of the night between her apartment and Russavage’s, police said.

When she returned to her apartment shortly before 3:40 a.m., she found Cotto and a female in bed and asked the pair to leave, police said. She then returned to Russavage’s apartment and Russavage went upstairs to make sure the pair left, police said.

Russavage was carrying his 6-inch SOG Pup knife with him, according to police. Russavage told police that when he got to the apartment, the men began assaulting him.

Russavage told police  he acted in self-defense when he stabbed Cotto. Cotto was stabbed at least once in the side, which might have punctured his liver, according to police.

However, according to a witness, Russavage was the aggressor, throwing punches and chasing the men out of the apartment.

Russavage and two other men fled the apartment and Russavage threw the knife over an embankment along Beck Street before returning to the apartment, where he was taken into custody, police said.

Russavage was treated at Evangelical Community Hospital for a swollen eye and bloody nose, police said.