By Francis Scarcella
The Daily Item
NORTHUMBERLAND — An auxiliary heating unit may have caused an early morning blaze that destroyed a mobile home in Point Township on Wednesday.
David Pope, of 227 N. Eighth St., had just arrived at work at about 5:15 a.m. when the fire apparently began, according to George Geise, a lieutenant with the Tuckahoe Fire Company.
“He said he had just got to his job and he received a phone call from the landlord that he leases the land from,” Geise said. “He immediately answered because he knew something must have been wrong to receive the call so early.”
By the time Pope returned home, more than 30 firefighters, including former Sunbury third assistant fire chief Rick Sinko, now with the Northumberland Fire Department, had extinguished the blaze, which destroyed all of Pope’s belongings.
Pope had moved into the mobile home about six months ago, officials said.
Firefighters doused the flames in about 20 minutes, but also had to deal with temperatures in the low 20s, which caused North Eighth Street to ice over.
Firefighters blocked off several roads while they inspected the scene, said Geise, who believed an electrical malfunction with an auxiliary heating unit caused the blaze, he said.
No injuries were reported. Geise said Pope would be temporarily staying with friends.
Tuckahoe, Sunbury, Northumberland, Point Township and Upper Augusta fire companies assisted at the scene.