By Evamarie Socha
The Daily Item
One firefighter had minor injuries and a Union County family of five is uninjured but displaced after a two-alarm fire heavily damaged their Lewis Township home Easter Sunday.
First responders received a call about 1 p.m. of a fire at the home of Stan Mowery at 3585 Swengel Road, about a mile south of Swengel village near the connection with Creek Road.
It’s believed a wood-burning stove started the fire at the two- and a half story farm home, where the stove’s pipe went out of the house through a wall, said Chief John Heiges of the Mifflinburg Hose Company, the lead responders on the call.
Also responding were New Berlin Fire Company, Penns Creek Volunteer Fire Company of Middleburg, Reliance Hose Company of Middleburg, Union County West End Fire Company of Glen Iron, and William Cameron Engine Company of Lewisburg. Milton Fire Department was on standby.
The fire is not suspicious, Heiges said, and he doesn’t anticipate the state fire marshal getting involved. The family said the home is insured.
There is no estimate yet of the cost of damages, Heiges said.
The SUN chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the Mowery family, two adults and three children, with shelter and other needs. Those wishing to contribute specifically to the family should call the Red Cross at (570) 524-0400 ext. 1606 and ask to speak to the disaster services manager.