DANVILLE — A Dec. 23 fire that killed an 88-year-old Danville man started from a smoldering hot-cold pack, a state police fire marshal ruled today.
Tpr. Kirk Renn visited the scene of the fire that claimed the life of Eugene “Gene” Yohn, a retired truck driver, again Monday and Tuesday. Renn was also at the scene of the blaze Dec. 23.
Renn said the hot-cold pack, which is heated to put on an area of the body where there is pain or discomfort, had been in the microwave of the home at 11 Cross St.
The pack was smoldering when removed from the microwave and was then placed somewhere on the side porch where the fire is believed to have started, he said.
Yohn’s wife Doris and dog were able to escape through the front door. His wife told fire officials she thought her husband was behind. His body was found in an enclosed side porch of the two-story home.
Montour County Coroner Scott Lynn previously said preliminary findings indicted the conclusion which Renn reached.
Renn estimated damage to the home and contents at $200,000.