The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

News

January 7, 2013

Bowlers routed by fire in dryer

MILTON — A fire at Imperial Lanes bowling alley was contained by two employees Sunday before it could cause serious damage.

Lane owner Andy Neuer said the fire, which originated at a malfunctioning dryer on the building’s roof, was contained to an 8-foot by 6-foot work room used to repair balls and shoes.

Around 3:20 p.m., a worker smelled smoke, said Neuer, and some clients said they saw smoke coming out of light fixtures.

Neuer and employee Kenny Leon located the fire in the work area and used extinguishers to put it out before firefighters arrived.

About 10 people were in the building when the fire started and were all evacuated quickly and safely, Neuer said.

Chief Sam Shaffer, of the Milton Fire Department, reported minimal fire damage. He was uncertain of the value of assets lost, but said that it was mainly burned bowling shoes and balls.

Shaffer said that, with the main fire extinguished by the employees, firefighters cleared the building of smoke and took care of a smaller fire in the ceiling.

Shaffer expected the bowling alley would be open later that evening.

Also responding were firefighters from the White Deer Township Fire Department.

1
Text Only
News
The Daily Marquee
Poll

How do you eat your chocolate Easter bunny?

Feet first
Tail first
Ears first
     View Results
Photo Galleries
The Valley

Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.