The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

January 9, 2013

Police: Assault victim handcuffs intruder who was armed with a knife

By Francis Scarcella
The Daily Item

— NORTHUMBERLAND — A Montgomery man broke into a Northumberland residence looking for his ex-girlfriend at 4:30 a.m. New Year’s Day and was handcuffed by the man he stabbed, borough police report.

James Ryder, 23, was arrested Jan. 1 after police said they arrived at the home because a fight had broken out and a man had been stabbed.

Police said Ryder broke through a door, walked up a flight of stairs and stood in the dark without saying a word until the resident asked Ryder what he was doing inside.

“I’m going to kill you,” Ryder told the man, according to police documents.

The alleged victim testified before District Judge Ben Apfelbaum on Tuesday that Ryder “stood there like the bogeyman” while he asked him why he was in the home.

After questioning Ryder a second time, the alleged victim testified that Ryder lunged at him with a knife and a fight began.

The man testified he punched Ryder in the face and Ryder kept getting up “like a zombie on bath salts,” he said.

The fight continued for nearly 10 minutes until Ryder was subdued and handcuffed by the alleged victim, court documents said.

Ryder’s ex-girlfriend called 911. She also testified she was texting with Ryder until about an hour before he allegedly entered the residence.

Police testified that when they arrived at the scene there was blood on the floor and that Ryder was so combative they never removed the set of handcuffs that was placed on him by the victim.

Ryder was taken to Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, for injuries he suffered during the struggle, while the alleged victim was treated at Sunbury Community Hospital for slice wounds.

Ryder was charged with a felony counts of burglary, aggravated assault and criminal trespass, and misdemeanor counts of terroristic threats, recklessly endangering another person and simple assault.

Ryder was sent to the Northumberland County Prison in lieu of $125,000 cash bail, which he posted. Charges against him were sent to Northumberland County Court. He remains free until a trial date has been set.