The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

November 30, 2012

Last teen released from hospital following science classroom fire


Associated Press

CARLISLE — A student hospitalized overnight after a fireball erupted in a central Pennsylvania eighth grade classroom has been released.

The student was one of seven who needed medical attention after a science experiment went awry Wednesday at Wilson Middle School in Carlisle.

The teen was released from Johns Hopkins Hospital on Thursday after undergoing treatment for burns to his face and torso.

Carlisle Fire and Rescue Chief John Heberlig says a preliminary investigation indicates a teacher was igniting rubbing alcohol when the experiment went wrong.

The teacher put out the fire with a classroom extinguisher. Five students were burned and two others were treated for smoke inhalation.