DANVILLE — Authorities say a fire that claimed the life of an elderly man may have been started by a blanket being warmed in a microwave.
Montour County officials said 88-year-old Eugene Yohn was found in enclosed side porch of the Danville home after the fire, which was reported shortly before 1:30 p.m. Monday.
Fire Chief Don Lutz said firefighters tried to get to Yohn but were blocked by “a wall of fire.”
Coroner Scott Lynn said preliminary findings indicate that a blanket being warmed in the microwave started to smoke and may have been thrown onto the porch, sparking the blaze.
Lynn said vision and medical issues may have hampered Yohn’s ability to get out of the house. His wife was able to get to safety.