By Robert Stoneback
The Danville News
A fire consumed part of an approximately 400 feet barn, destroying hay, supplies and killing four cattle before local firefighters could contain it.
The fire, which occurred around 5 p.m., Sunday, took place on the property of Tim Baumert, of 283 Dairy Road. He and his children were outside when the fire started and he safely got them into the family house before calling 911.
The fire was likely caused by hay stacked in the barn warming up and going through a heat cycle, Baumert said. “All it takes is one bale and poof, it’s gone,” he said.
Baumert has insurance but was unsure of how much damage was caused.
Firefighters, responding from seven different stations, had the blaze under control as of 7 p.m. Sunday night. They managed to save most of the barn, except for the approximately 60 foot by 80 foot storage area where the fire started.
No people were reported injured.
Email questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.