The Daily Item
MIDDLEBURG — The Midd-West School Board remained silent on the unspecified charges that prompted Superintendent Dr. Wesley Knapp’s abrupt resignation last week as they prepare to meet to discuss the search for his replacement.
Board president Victor Abate on Monday said the nine-member panel will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Middleburg Elementary School to discuss in executive session a personnel issue, including the search for a new superintendent.
“We are moving forward,” Abate said.
He’s staying tight-lipped about the unspecified “notice of charges” against Knapp that were withdrawn when the former school leader agreed to step down from the $118,400-a-year position on Oct. 28, according to a four-page resignation agreement.
Neither the board or Knapp would discuss the nature of the charges.
Abate would not say what the withdrawn allegations were or even if they rose to the level of alleged illegal activity.
Knapp, who has been involved in education for 53 years, denied any illegal wrongdoing.
The agreement was reached after the board hired special counsel Jeffrey Litts, of Lancaster, and Scott Etter, of State College, in late September,
The terms of Knapp’s resignation effective Dec. 31 were hammered out over 21 days between Oct. 7, when Knapp was placed on leave, and Oct. 28 when he delivered the signed document to the board. It was unanimously accepted by the board that night.
The agreement requires Knapp to notify Abate before entering school property to retrieve or drop off items.
However, Abate said Knapp apparently cleaned out his office and left his district badge without informing him before the agreement was signed.
In addition to agreeing to withdraw charges against Knapp, the board will pay him a lump sum of $60,682 and monthly installments amounting to $10,000 through June 2014.