The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA


May 6, 2014

Defense: Barbour repeatedly requested attorney

UPDATE, 12:20 p.m.:

SUNBURY — Accused murderer Miranda Barbour screamed she wanted an attorney during a state police seizure of her cell phone even though authorities said the 19-year old was not under arrest. Barbour asked for an attorney during a Dec. 2 police interview up to 12 times and was not provided one until after she was arrested in Sunbury in the early morning hours of Dec. 3.

Court proceedings are still continuing as Northumberland County Chief Public Defender Ed Greco is going to be playing a 50-min video of the police interview.

Snyder County District Attorney Mike Piecuch testified for more than 90-minutes as Greco hammered him on why Barbour was not provided an attorney when she arrived at the Selinsgrove state police barracks to give a statement about information she had involving the Nov. 11 slaying of Troy LaFerrara, 42, of Port Trevorton.

When Greco showed a video of Barbour speaking with police on Dec. 2, a state trooper told Barbour she could leave but that police were seizing her cell phone. Barbour refused to give the cell phone to authorities and when she started to walk out of the barracks, troopers grabbed her arm and took the phone. Barbour could be heard screaming and demanding an attorney.

Stay tuned for more at

SUNBURY — Accused killer Miranda Barbour repeatedly asked for an attorney during two police interviews, and because she was not afforded one, her alleged confession that she stabbed Troy LaFerrara was obtained illegally and should be tossed, her lawyer says.

That’s what Northumberland County chief public defender Ed Greco said in a motion filed in Northumberland County Court and will be fighting for when the 19-year-old appears this morning in court.

Greco claims the alleged confession by Barbour was obtained illegally because his client was not provided with an attorney at interviews despite repeatedly requesting one.

During a police interview held at the Selinsgrove state police station, officers claim Barbour arrived and was not under arrest when she began to speak with them. Police went as far as calling Snyder County District Attorney Michael Piecuch to the station, court documents said. Piecuch arrived and informed Miranda Barbour that she was not under arrest, so she would not be entitled to a public defender, according to the documents.

Barbour allegedly told police she stabbed LaFerrara after he began to grope her and grab her neck on a ride to Sunbury on Nov. 11.

Barbour told police she met LaFerrara on Craigslist, where she posted an ad offering companionship for money, according to police.

On Dec. 6, just three days after Mrs. Barbour was arrested, Elytte Barbour, 22, of Selinsgrove, told police he was hiding in the backseat of his wife’s vehicle. After a sign was given, he popped up from under a blanket and began to strangle LaFerrara with a cord while his wife stabbed the 42-year-old Port Trevorton resident, according to police documents.

Mr. Barbour allegedly told police the newlywed couple committed the murder because they wanted to “kill someone together.”

Mrs. Barbour has never confirmed to police what her husband alleged took place.

Troopers and Sunbury police did not charge Mrs. Barbour with the murder initially, and Mrs. Barbour was free to leave the barracks. She left the station, but an hour later, police said she returned and continued to speak with them before an arrest was made. Mrs. Barbour said when she left, she spoke with her husband, who advised her to return to the barracks and “tell them everything” because she would be arrested later anyway.

Mrs. Barbour in being held in the Muncy State Correctional Institution and will be present for today’s hearing.

Text Only
The Daily Marquee

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.