The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

January 27, 2013

Woodburner blamed in $150G house fire

By Robert Stoneback
The Daily Item

— RIVERSIDE — A fire that consumed a ranch-style home Saturday was caused by a malfunctioning woodburning stove.

According to Butch Kriner, chief of Riverside’s Southside Fire Company, the Eshbach family’s Crest Haven Road home was destroyed. Kriner estimated damages as exceeding $150,000.

Janelle and Marvin Eshbach and their four sons were not home when the fire started. The are staying with family members, Kriner said. They will be cared for by their local Mennonite church community, he added. “They take care of their own,” he said.

The fire started at about 6 p.m. Units responded from Southside, as well as from fire departments in Danville, Mahoning Township, Elysburg and Ralpho Township.

The scene in Rush Township, Northumberland County, was cleared at about 9:45 p.m.