The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

News

October 1, 2009

Veteran dies in Baghdad

A Muncy veteran who was working as a State Department contractor in Iraq died in Baghdad last month when he was electrocuted while taking a shower.

Adam Hermanson, 25, who spent three tours of duty in Iraq as a member of the Air Force, returned to the Iraq to work as a security contractor with a company based in Herndon, Va., named Triple Canopy. Hermanson took the job in hopes of earning enough money to purchase a house in Muncy.

“He was supposed to come back, we had a lot of plans,” his wife, Janine, who also served in the Air Force, told The Associated Press.

Hermanson’s wife told the press that a military medical examiner told her that preliminary findings indicated her husband died on Sept. 1 from low-voltage electrocution.

U.S. authorities in Iraq have been working to remedy the problem, which has resulted in the deaths of 18 U.S. soldiers and contractors. Eight of the incidents have involved possible equipment faults or malfunctions. The accidental touching of live wires was blamed for half of the deaths.

Jayanti Menches, a spokeswoman for the Triple Canopy, said in an e-mail to the AP that the company was saddened by Hermanson’s death, but would not be commenting further until an investigation was complete.

At 17, Hermanson joined the Air Force. During his service, Hermanson completed three tours of duty in Iraq and another in Uzbekistan. After his final tour, Hermanson retired from the Air Force with the rank of staff sergeant.

1
Text Only
News
The Daily Marquee
Video
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.