By Ashley M. Wislock
The Daily Item
SELINSGROVE — Waddling through his owner’s living room Friday, Brutus looked like any other happy, healthy dog.
But five days earlier, Brutus, a 5-year-old pug, suffered a bite from a copperhead snake on his face while out with his owners’ 12-year-old daughter Lauren, saving her from being bitten, said owners Michael and Barbara Ferree.
On Monday evening, the family was outside of its home feeding its other animals, with Lauren standing side-by-side with Brutus, Barbara Ferree said.
“Lauren went to make a move and we saw Brutus jump out ... We thought he was just being his normal, playful self,” she said. “But then we saw his eye starting to swell.”
At first, the Ferrees thought Brutus had been stung by a bee, so they went inside and called their veterinarian, who told them to give Brutus some Benadryl.
Read more of this story in Saturday's edition of The Daily Item.