The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

October 10, 2012

Selinsgrove fire victim: 'We lost everything we had'

By Francis Scarcella
The Daily Item

— SELINSGROVE — More than 40 firefighters battled a blaze that tore through a Selinsgrove mobile home and left two people temporarily homeless Wednesday.

Lorretta Bush, 66, of 9 Minton Drive, off Wedgewood Drive in Penn Township, Snyder County, was home with her 3-year-old great-grandchild when the home caught fire at about 8 a.m., Don Weirick, deputy chief of Selinsgrove’s Dauntless Hook & Ladder Fire Company, said.

The home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. They had the blaze under control in about 45 minutes, Weirick said.

Bush said she sparked the fire when she plugged in a space heater in a bedroom.

“I saw a large flame shoot up in the air,” she said. “I got my great-grandchild and got out.”

Bush lived in the mobile home with her son, Phillip Bush, 40, who was not home at the time.

“We lost everything we had,” she said. “I am so confused right now. I don’t know what we are going to do.”

The family had lived in the home for more than two years, and Bush said she and her son were in the process of remodeling it.

“We were beginning to do work on several different things,” she said.

Damage was estimated at $20,000, Weirick said.

Responding to the alarm were the Selinsgrove, Hummels Wharf, Shamokin Dam, Freeburg and Kreamer fire companies. The Dauntless Hook & Ladder ambulance company also responded.