The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

March 23, 2013

Couple homeless after fire guts their Milton home

By Rick Dandes
The Daily Item

— MILTON — A man and his wife are homeless after a Friday night fire destroyed most of the interior of their home at 167 Dougal St.

Homeowners Robert and Kim Rauch said they believe the cause of the fire was electrical, although that was not confirmed by firefighters on the scene.

Robert Rauch said he returned home from work around 8 p.m. Shortly thereafter, he noticed smoke coming from behind his computer.

The fire spread quickly to the attic, where black smoke billowed out windows on each side of the house.

The couple had pets and as of 10 p.m. Friday, it was not known whether the animals survived.

Firefighters fought for more than two hours in unseasonably cold weather,do.”but the roof was metallicH and they had a difficult time cutting through to reach the attic.

Robert Rauch said he was not insured, adding: “I don’t know what we are going to

is mother, standing nearby, hugged him and his wife, and said: “I know what you are going to do. You’re coming home with me.”

The extent of the damage was not known as of deadline.

The building remained standing, but there was extensive smoke and water damage inside.