By Ashley Wislock
The Daily Item
ALLENWOOD — A mobile home is a total loss after a fire Thursday morning which displaced a mother, daughter and their dog.
The fire started shortly before 10 a.m. Thursday in a mobile home on the property of a house at 672 Devitt Camp Road in Allenwood.
The house belongs to Marlene Smith, who was renting the mobile home to a friend, she said.
Smith said she was in her home when she heard what she described as the same popping noise made by popcorn heating up.
“I thought, ‘What in the world?’” she said. “I saw the smoke ... and called 911.”
Her tenant and the tenant’s 10-year-old daughter were not home at the time of the blaze and their dog and horse, though spooked, were not harmed.
The family has been living in the home for three years are Smith described her friend as an “extremely grateful person.”
The home’s resident arrived at the home and was visibly upset, and was immediately comforted by friends and family. She told firefighters she could not remember anything that was left on in the home that would have sparked the blaze.
Mark Burrows, Warrior Run Area Fire Department chief, said the cause of the blaze could not be determined Thursday and that crews would return Friday to continue to look for a cause. Burrows said he had not yet decided whether to call in the State Police Fire Marshall to determine a cause.
No firefighters were hurt battling the flames, Burrows said.
Burrows did not know if the tenant had insurance, but called the home a “total loss.”
Video by Robert Inglis/The Daily Item