SHANKSVILLE, Pa. — An 18-year-old western Pennsylvania man says he's lucky to be alive after he was struck by lightning — while standing next to his kitchen stove.
Cody Sines, of Shanksville, said he was grabbing dinner after work when a "big blue ball of flame" came at him as he grabbed the handle of his electric stove on Tuesday afternoon.
Sines later learned that lightning hit a tree in his back yard before traveling through the ground and into his house.
His mother, Michele Bittner, says she was looking into the kitchen when her son was knocked unconscious.
"I just saw him flow, just 'boom,' across the room and hit the back of the sink. He just slid down and started twitching," she said.
She called 911 and Sines has recovered.