The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

News

February 13, 2013

Hot ashes blown by wind ignite porch fire at Snyder County house

BEAVER SPRINGS — Wind and hot ashes were the cause of a porch fire that spread to a living room in a Beaver Springs home Tuesday morning.

Jim Kodlick was emptying an ash bucket when the wind picked up and sent hot ashes all over the front porch, Beaver Springs Assistant Chief Brian Thomas said.

The ashes caught the front porch on fire, he said.

By the time firefighters arrived, the blaze had spread inside the home and caught the living room on fire, Thomas said.

“Our guys got here pretty fast and were able to contain the fire,” he said. “It’s good that they did because the wind was pretty bad, and they were able to contain it to the corner of the home.”

Thomas said the wind was aggressive, but he was shocked to see a small fire grow so fast.

“It took off,” he said. “This could have been a lot worse.”

More than 20 firefighters from Beaver Springs, Beavertown and Bannerville battled the blaze, Thomas said.

Kodlick has insurance, and Thomas said the home is livable although Kodlick will stay with family temporarily.

Kodlick said he was unsure of the amount of damage but that there was minor water and smoke damage.

 

1
Text Only
News
The Daily Marquee
Poll

How do you eat your chocolate Easter bunny?

Feet first
Tail first
Ears first
     View Results
Photo Galleries
The Valley

Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.