By Karen Matthews
The Associated Press
MILLMONT — A classic 1969 Camaro SS was reduced to rubble in a garage fire that threatened, but did not spread, to two adjacent homes.
John Heiges, chief of the Mifflinburg Hose Company, said that by the time his fire engines got to the fire at 100 Third St., at about 8 p.m., the garage, the car inside and two small attached sheds were in flames.
Shortly thereafter, the garage and two sheds burned to the ground.
The car was owned by a man who was so upset by the fire that he asked that his name not be revealed. He was in his house with his significant other, watching TV, when they noticed a flash outside their window.
Neighbors said they heard a “boom” just as the fire broke out, Heiges said.
He was told that a car battery in the garage was plugged into an electrical source, “but I can’t be sure that started the fire,” Heiges said.
He also suspected there were propane tanks in or near the structure.
A state police fire marshal will examine the scene Thursday, Heiges said.
“There was significant heat damage to the siding of the adjacent houses,” he said.
Heiges could not estimate the extent of the damage.
The fire was under control by 8:45 p.m., but a nearby tree caught fire, so fire personnel spent time spraying branches.
Assisting the Mifflinburg Fire Department were fire and rescue personnel from the West End Fire Company and New Berlin.