Shortly before playing in what might have been the final professional game of his tainted career, Alex Rodriguez was turned down on Saturday in his request for a meeting to possibly broker a deal with Major League Baseball, sources confirmed, and now must wait for Monday to learn his fate along with the rest of the Biogenesis-linked crew.
That action seemed contrary to Rodriguez’s stance Friday night, when he annoyed MLB officials and the Yankees with his accusatory tone during a surreal tirade that suggested people were trying to find "creative" ways to "cancel" the remainder of his $275-million contract. He also made veiled references to the two as potential co-conspirators in attempting to keep him off the field.
Up to that point, MLB had been open to negotiating plea deals with the players allegedly connected to Biogenesis. But after Friday’s postgame rant, MLB decided it was done with Rodriguez, who was told - through the union as intermediary - that there would be no more discussion and that his sentence would be handed down Monday. ESPNNY reported late Saturday that Rodriguez is likely to be suspended through the 2014 season.
Asked about approaching the Yankees and MLB for a settlement, Rodriguez said Saturday night, "As far as any of that stuff, I’m going to let those guys take care of what they need to take care of."
Rodriguez played his second rehab game Saturday night with Double-A Trenton, and after his spectacular home run Friday, this was much less dramatic. A-Rod, greeted with the usual mixture of boos and cheers, walked in all four of his plate appearances.
The plan from here is for him to work out Sunday with the expectation of joining the Yankees on Monday in Chicago.