BOSTON — The Red Sox and Bruins postponed their games Friday while authorities searched for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings and officials warned nearly 1 million people to stay indoors.
The teams announced about four hours before their night games were scheduled to start that they were scratched.
Police identified two suspects in Monday's explosions that killed three people and wounded more than 180. One suspect was killed during a shootout with police and the other was being sought in a massive manhunt that lasted much of Friday.
Authorities in Boston suspended all mass transit, used by many fans to travel to games, and told people in the entire city and some of its suburbs to stay indoors as the hunt for Suspect No. 2 went on. Businesses were asked not to open. People waiting at bus and subway stops were asked to go home.
No makeup date was announced for the opener of the Red Sox three-game series against the Kansas City Royals scheduled at Fenway Park. Saturday's game, set to start at 1:35 p.m., was still on.
The NHL game between the Bruins and the Pittsburgh Penguins, two of the top four teams in the Eastern Conference, at TD Garden was tentatively rescheduled for Saturday at 12:30 p.m. A final decision on whether it would be played then would be made by four hours before faceoff, the Bruins said. Saturday night's originally scheduled game between the Buffalo Sabres and Penguins in Pittsburgh was rescheduled for Tuesday night.
Capacity at Fenway Park, about one mile from the finish line, is 37,493 for night games. Capacity at TD Garden is 17,565.
But Red Sox players and other team employees had been told to stay home until a decision was made on whether the game would be played, and the massive police effort involved in the manhunt made security for the games difficult.