By Karen Blackledge
The Danville News
Firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire Monday in a wall on the fifth floor of Bush Pavilion related to construction at Geisinger Medical Center.
No patients were on the floor which is being renovated, said Veronica Senchak Snyder, manager of emergency management at Geisinger. No evacuation was necessary because the floor was vacant. The floor is being prepared for patients.
The call first came in as an automatic alarm at 11:26 a.m.
When a fire was discovered, East End Fire Department Deputy Chief Leslie Young upgraded the call, summoning fire companies from Montour County, Riverside and a truck from Bloomsburg Fire Department which is normal procedure.
She said the fire was caused by welding at the construction site. Insulation smoldered but there were no visible flames. There was minor damage to the wall, Young said.
Young said firefighters extinguished the fire with a water can or fire extinguisher.
One firefighter from Danville had to be taken to the emergency department for evaluation because of the heat. She didn’t know his status Monday afternoon.
Geisinger Health System public relations specialist Mike Ferlazzo described the response by fire and rescue personnel as fantastic.
Ferlazzo said the hospital was continuing to operate as normal.
Besides the East End Company, of Mahoning Township, the Danville Fire Department and companies from Washingtonville, Valley Township and Liberty Township in Montour County responded. Also summoned were the Southside Fire Company from Riverside and a truck from Bloomsburg. A Danville ambulance, Danville Fire Police and Geisinger security also were at the scene. Also responding were Mahoning Township police and Danville police.