DANVILLE — Federal money supplied earlier this week for repairs to the Danville Middle School were in fact requested earlier by the district, according to the school board’s president.
A press release from Senator Bob Casey’s office sent out on June 25 made it sound as if the $1.07 million given to the district was additional funding awarded to the renovation of the flood-damaged school, said board president Allan Schappert. In fact, the school district had previously requested the money as part of a reimbursement for a project worksheet.
“The correspondence from Senator Casey's office gives the appearance that the dollars referenced are something else which, as it turns out, is not the case,” responded Schappert via email.
He chalked the matter up to miscommunication within the state government.
“Multiple layers of governmental bureaucracy significantly increase the risk of miscommunication and uncoordinated actions,” said Schappert.
The money is to be used to make the Danville Middle School more handicap-accessible. The school was heavily damaged during Sept. 2011’s Tropical Storm Lee. It is currently set to reopen at the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year.
Email questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.