The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

Montour County

December 12, 2013

Fire scare at Hackey House

DANVILLE — After someone thought they smelled natural gas or an electrical fire, firefighters were summoned to the Hackey House at about 8:40 a.m. Wednesday.

Firefighters found no smoke and thoroughly checked the house along Bloom Street and across from Memorial Park.

Assistant Chief Ken Strausser said gas may have vented and then dissipated.

There were five to six students in the house at the time. They are transitional program students from Danville Area High School who are learning academic and life skills at the house owned by the nearby Grove Presbyterian Church.

The students were immediately taken back to the school as a precaution, said Sandy Stefanovige, district employee at the Hackey House.

Dan Stamey, who is in charge of the church property committee, said he got a call from the church maintenance person. Stamey said he was told someone reported a light haze at the house.

There are also apartments in the building.

Danville and Mahoning Township fire companies responded along with a Danville ambulance and Danville fire police.

Email comments to kblackledge@thedanvillenews.com.

 

1
Text Only
Home

Danville Photos