The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

Montour County

June 19, 2014

Overheating pool pump leads to evacuation at Hampton Inn

— DANVILLE – An overheated pool pump brought three fire companies to the Route 54 Hampton Inn Thursday afternoon.

A fire call went out at 3:30 p.m. Mike Kull, chief of Valley Township Fire Department, said no fire actually occurred, but the overheating appliance caused a burning smell in the hotel's pump room which led to hotel employees calling 911 and evacuating the building.

Kull said about 15 to 20 people were standing outside the building when firefighters arrived.

A breaker turned off the pump and firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to make sure there was no other fire in the pump room. The pool will be closed until an electrician can look at the pumps, Kull said.

This has not been the first time that the Hampton Inn has reported a fire-related call due to their pump room, Kull added.

Also responding were Mahoning Township’s East End Fire Department, Liberty Township Fire Department and Danville Fire Police.

 

Email comments to rstoneback@thedanvillenews.com.

1
Text Only
Home

Danville Photos