The Daily Item
LEWISBURG — The Union County Historical Society’s 1793 Dale house is being used increasingly by those interested in 18th-century life and events. Different aspects of the 18th century are presented to the public every Sunday during the house tours and at the upcoming Rural Heritage Days.
The original owner, Northern-Irish immigrant, Samuel Dale had a “Georgian” limestone two-story house built for his family in the early 1790s. It may have taken as much as a year and a half starting with quarrying the stone, hauling and laying it, through to completing the interior plaster and cabinetry details. Dale was involved in the Revolutionary War and fought at the Battle of Princeton under George Washington. Dale was in Pennsylvania’s earliest governing assembly sessions. His life story is presented at his final home at 1471 Strawbridge Road off Route 192, Lewisburg.
Eighteenth-century demonstrations of masonry work, charcoal making, powder horn and rye straw hat making, long rifle construction, field work, and more, will be part of Rural Heritage Days this coming Aug. 14-17. For a complete schedule of the 10th Annual Rural Heritage Days events and more information about the Dale/Engle/Walker house visit www.unioncountyhistorical society.org or call the UCHS Society office at (570) 524-8666.