The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

Union County

October 7, 2013

William Cameron Fire Company Event

— LEWISBURG — The William Cameron Engine Company, which provides fire prevention, control, extinguishment and emergency medical services to Lewisburg and surrounding communities in Union and Northumberland counties, officially joins the celebration of the Union County Bicentennial during Fire Protection Week during the first week of October. On Sunday, Oct. 13, the William Cameron Engine Company Museum will be open to the public from 1 to 5 p.m. Museum guides will be on hand and admission to the museum is free of charge.

The museum is located in the Lewisburg fire department’s administration building at the end of North Fifth Street facing Route 192/Buffalo Road in Lewisburg. The museum is handicapped accessible with parking adjacent to the museum.

The William Cameron Engine Company has a rich and well-preserved history. The first organized fire department in Lewisburg started in 1831. The department still owns its first hand-powered pump, the “Valiant”, and a steam-powered pump, the “William Cameron” presented to the borough of Lewisburg by William Cameron in 1871. Both pieces of equipment are on display in the museum in the Fifth Street building together with objects, photos, and documents from the department’s 170 year tradition of service.

As we roll into October and a heavy lineup of Union County Bicentennial activities, Union County Bicentennial Co-Chair John Showers stated that, “There appears to be no better way to recognize two centuries of Union County volunteerism than by joining in the observance of National Fire Protection Week across all of Union County’s communities. The William Cameron Engine Company Museum’s open house day on Oct. 13 represents a perfect starting place to review almost two centuries of fire fighting in the Buffalo Valley.”

Additional information is available online at www.UnionCounty200.com.

1
Text Only
Home