The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

May 6, 2013

The Bicentennial’s June 16th Historic Ramblings Ticket Sales Begin


The Daily Item

— LEWISBURG — Tickets for the first of two Union County Bicentennial house tours, called Historic Ramblings, are now on sale at the following locations:

Bus reservations at $30 apiece will close at noon on June 7 at these four locations. For those doing the event by car, the tour tickets will remain available until the day of the event. All tickets are purchased by cash or checks only with checks made out to the Union County Bicentennial. The tour sites are not handicapped accessible   

On the day of the tour, tour tickets will be available only at the Lewisburg Hotel on Market Street, Lewisburg, and the White Deer Railroad Station in White Deer. These $10 tickets are for those going to sites on their own. Children under 12 years are free when going in their family’s car.

Those going by bus with advance paid reservations of $30 will congregate at 11 a.m. in the Weis Market parking lot, Route 15, Lewisburg. The bus will leave at 11:20 a.m. and be returning there at about 4:45 p.m.

The sites on the Historic Ramblings tour include: in Winfield, the wood frame Eyer House that includes the sampler collection of Gary Parks along with the adjacent mid-18th century limestone house of John Lee and site of the Lee Massacre of 1755; in East Buffalo Township, a restored 1797 log house and trading center moved from Kantz, Snyder County; and in Lewisburg on South Second Street, the large 1856 “Tuscan Villa” designed in Italianate style by Samuel Sloan, Philadelphia architect. It was built for John Marsh, iron foundry owner, then served as the home of Benjamin Focht who was a US House of Representative for 10 terms; the Villa has been recently been restored by present owners.

Also, on the tour are the 1932 Federal Penitentiary in Kelly Township, the first prison built for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and designed in the Italian Renaissance style by architect Alfred Hopkins; the 1906 White Deer Pennsylvania Railroad Station that will have the Widow Smith, gunsmith of the 18th century, present and interpreting her 18th-century past; the still operating Chamberlin-Grove Mill outside of Lewisburg off Buffalo Creek on an 18th-century water-powered gristmill site; and finally, the 1846 brick Greek Revival “Old Buffalo” Church in Buffalo Crossroads, the third building on the site of the first “open-air” congregation of Presbyterians started in 1773.  

Total mileage for the tour is 28.7 miles.