The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

December 3, 2013

Mifflinburg firefighters battle 2 blazes in 7 hours

By Rick Dandes
The Daily Item

LEWISBURG — MIFFLINBURG — Two fires within a span of seven hours kept the Mifflinburg Hose Company busy Monday night and Tuesday morning, Deputy Fire Chief Steve Walter said. One damaged a popular bar and restaurant on the borough’s main street, and the other left two people temporarily homeless.

Walter was alerted to a fire at the Scarlet D Tavern, 264 Chestnut St., at about 6 p.m. Monday.

“I live only two blocks away, and by the time I got there, you could clearly see flames shooting out the window,” Walter said Tuesday night. “The kitchen area vented itself, and there was significant damage. I saw some considerable smoke and water damage.”

The fire was under control in about 30 minutes, Walter said. “But with all the smoke, it took us about two hours of total time working the aftermath before we could leave,” he added.

Fire and rescue personnel from New Berlin assisted Mifflinburg.

At about 1 a.m. Tuesday, a two-alarm fire caused severe damage to a home on Cedar Run Lane, near White Springs. “By the time we got to this residence, a large part of the building was well involved,” Walter said.

There were a lot of flames in the wall, he said, and “there was significant structural damage.”

A couple rented the house, but Walter could not provide their names.

“I don’t think they will be able to live in the house for a while,” he said, “but these days, you can do some amazing structural things.”

Walter said the fire might have been caused by sparks from a wood stove. “We’ll have to wait for someone with more expertise to figure that out,” he added.

Assisting Mifflinburg were fire and rescue personnel from New Berlin, Winfield, Penns Creek, Middleburg and Lewisburg.

Damage estimates were not available for either fire.