The Daily Item
LEWISBURG — William Leon Baker, 79, of East Honey Locust Drive, passed away on Monday, March 17, 2014, at the Buffalo Valley Lutheran Village, Lewisburg.
He was born Nov. 25, 1934, in Hanover, a son of the late Curvin H. and Treva M. (Brown) Baker. He was married to the former Carol F. Ergott and his death breaks a marital union of 58 years.
William was a 1952 graduate of the Hanover High School and a 1957 graduate of Lycoming College.
He had worked for Lycoming College as business officer from 1965 to 1990, the West Shore Tax Bureau as executive director from 1991 to 1996, and worked part time for Coles Hardware from 1998 to 2001.
He was a former president of the Jersey Shore Hospital Board; a former member of the Dillsburg Lions Club; the Jersey Shore Historical Society as well as other historical and genealogical societies.
William was a member of Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lewisburg. He served as treasurer for the Upper Susquehanna Synod of the ELCA; a member of the Board of Directors for the Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary; and a member of the Board of Directors of the Seminary Ridge Historical Preservation Foundation.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by three children and their spouses, Steven and Rayetta Baker, of Montgomery, Karen and G. Thomas Lucas, of Bellefonte, and Katherine Baker and Russell Miller, of Carlisle; five grandchildren; five stepgrandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; four stepgreat-grandchildren; and one sister and brother-in-law, Patricia and Raymond Smith, of Montoursville.
Friends and relatives will be received from 11 a.m. to noon Saturday in Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, 100 S. Third St., Lewisburg, followed by the funeral at noon with the Rev. William S. Henderson officiating.
Burial will follow in Harmony Cemetery, Milton.
The family will provide flowers and ask for memorial contributions in William’s memory be made to Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, 100 S. Third St., Lewisburg, PA 17837.
Arrangements are under the care of the Shaw Funeral Home, 400 N. Front St., Milton.