The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

The Valley

June 5, 2014

Summer Exhibits Open at the Dale/Engle/Walker House

— LEWISBURG — An exhibit of Union County tools used or made by Union County blacksmiths, tinsmiths and roofers, wooden pump borers, plane makers, quiltmakers, dressmakers and grist miller operators — among others — has been assembled for the public.

A second exhibit focuses on learning — formally at school; by example as in traditions like apple butter making, butchering, and barn raising; or alone, by oneself through media — are featured at the 1793 Dale/Engle/Walker House. One-room schools were scattered throughout the county, roughly two miles apart, and there were larger institutions such as the Union Seminary, later called Central College in New Berlin and Bucknell University in Lewisburg.

Museum and archives committee member Jeannette Lasansky, has pulled the items on display at the early farm house from the Union County Historical Society’s collections. There is a comment book for visitors to enter their thoughts on how best they like to learn. Learning is the theme of this year’s Rural Heritage Day on July 12 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The Dale/Engle/Walker House will be open Sunday afternoons from 2 to 4 p.m., June through October. House tours starts at 2 p.m. with the last tour at 3:30. Children are welcome (free or reduced admission depending on their age). Also open are the milk house with interpretive displays and audio station, and the wagon shed filled with area horse drawn vehicles and tools that were typically stored in such a building. The wagon shed also has interesting audios done by a member of the Engle family and interpretive panels.

The property is located on 1471 Strawbridge Road, 1.5 miles west on Route 192. The property is also the site of the Dale’s Ridge Trail that is operated by the Merrill W. Linn Land & Waterways Conservancy. For further information call the Society office at (570) 524-8666 or at info@unioncountyhistoricalsociety.org.

 

1
Text Only
Photo Galleries