The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

The Valley

August 15, 2013

Tickets Available for Bicentennial’s September 22 “Historic Ramblings” Tour of western Union County

— MIFFLINBURG — Come on another exploration of historic places, this time in the western half of Union County, on a Sept. 22. This is the third bus and car tour offered by the Union County Bicentennial Committee in 2013. It is an event planned for families and individuals who are curious about our county in this, its Bicentennial year.

For those people wanting to do the event in their own car, tour tickets are now available at Carriage Corner in Mifflinburg, the West End Library in Laurelton, and the Susquehanna River Valley Visitors’ Bureau, the Lewisburg Hotel, and the Union County Government Center in Lewisburg. These tickets are purchased by cash or checks only, with checks made out to the Union County Bicentennial. The tour sites are not handicapped accessible and will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 22.

On the day of the tour, individual car tour tickets at $10 each will only be available at the Lewisburg Hotel on Market Street, Lewisburg, and at the Barber Mansion at 2640 Red Ridge Road in White Springs. These car tickets are $10 and for those going to sites on their own. Children under 12 years are free when going in their family’s car.

For those interested in going by bus, $30 ticket reservations must be made by Sept. 13 and those tickets are only available at the Union County Government Center on North 15th Street, Lewisburg, open Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Those on the bus should bring a snack as the schedule is tight. There is a bathroom on the bus. For questions about the bus tickets and to make reservations, call (570) 524-3894. The bus will be departing from the Buffalo Valley Shopping Center in Mifflinburg near the Old Turnpike.

The sites on the western Union County Historic Ramblings tour on Sept. 22 include: Sampsell’s Grist Mill (also known as the Penn’s Creek Pottery) that will be an opportunity to learn about one of the county’s original 40 mill sites as well as the area’s iron industry; the 1815 New Berlin Courthouse and home of the New Berlin Heritage Association’s Museum will be open for viewing with its hosts; the site of the 1755 LeRoy Spring Massacre above Dice; and the 1790s Barber Mansion and its later bank barn where there will be people explaining both building’s unusual architecture and history.

Also, on this the second Union County Bicentennial tour of Union County history are the Mountain View Old Order Mennonite Church meeting house and buggy stalls that is open only at 2:45 with a special presentation by Groffdale Mennonite Eli Reiff at that time; the 1806 wooden Elias Church and 1803 Gutelius log house in Mifflinburg, and the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) camp and now the Union County Sportsmen’s Club by Penns Creek, in Weikert. The total mileage for the western Union County Ramblings tour is 40.4 miles.

 

1
Text Only
Photo Galleries