The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

The Valley

June 18, 2013

Eighteenth-Century Architecture is a Focus of Dale House Tours Every Sunday

LEWISBURG — Every Sunday, from 2 to 4 p.m., tours are given at the Dale/Engle/Walker House, owned and operated by the Union County Historical Society. The limestone house was built in the early 1790s by immigrant Samuel Dale.

Visitors go through the original structure of four equally sized rooms that functioned as a dining room and parlor on the first floor and two bedrooms on the second floor, as well as the ell that was added between 1820-1840. The long porch was the last addition, c. 1880-1905. All have been carefully restored and preserved.

The original kitchen, in what we would now consider a cellar, is directly underneath the dining room. It has a large hearth that has been fully restored and furnished with cast and forged iron, brass and copper period cooking equipment, early wooden ware, pottery, and tinware, all dating from the 1790s-1820s. Some implements are not dissimilar to what we use today like skimmers and ladles; others like the toaster bear no resemblance to contemporary examples.

The house has all of its original woodwork: simple but elegant center stairway, chair rails and cabinet work, and quarter-sawn American hickory floors.  

Also open on Sundays are the wagon shed — with 19th-century farm tools, equipment and vehicles, and the milk house — with a dairy display.

The main exhibit at the Dale/Engle/Walker House is “Water-powered Grist Mills of Union County.” A small exhibit  features objects from Union County’s First Century.


Text Only
Photo Galleries