SUNBURY — The Sunbury Area Community Foundation (SACF) recently awarded $127,250 to local non-profits during its fifth competitive grantround. The awards were granted through the Sunbury Area Health Fund, Mary E. and J. Guy Lesher Fund, C. Preston and Kathryn S. Geist Endowment Fund, Clyde H. Jacobs Fund, Gladys C. Dagle Fund and the Gloria Faylor Karchner Healthcare Fund.
The SACF focused its funding decisions on programs that target children’s health, community health and wellness, early childhood, issues regarding the working poor and coronary care. Those grant recipients include:
- A Community Clinic, Inc., $52,950, for clinic operations and services
- Birthright of Sunbury, Inc., $3,000, for family assistance with diapers and formula
- Birthright of Sunbury, Inc., $1,500, for family assistance with crib mattresses
- Central Susquehanna Intermediate Unit, $14,300, for Northumberland County Head Start
- Degenstein Community Library, $6,500, for early literacy computer stations
- Central Susquehanna Sight Services, $1,000, for Children’s Prevention of Blindness Education and screenings
- Union-Snyder Community Action Agency, $12,000, bridges to housing stability program
- Greater Susquehanna Valley YMCA, $2,500, for financial assistance program
- Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way, $8,000, for PA 2-1-1 Central Region
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Central Susquehanna Valley, $5,000, for school-based mentoring
- SUN Home Health Services, $11,000, for Hospice Care Center scholarships
n Setebaid Services, Inc., $4,500 for Camp Victory camperships
n Snyder County Libraries, $5,000, for Summer Reading Program
The Sunbury Area Community Foundation is an affiliate of the Central Susquehanna Community Foundation which helps administer SACF’s grant and scholarship investments. Nonprofit organizations that provide programming focusing on the goal areas of the Sunbury Area Community Foundation are encouraged to apply during the 2013 competitive grantround. Details should be available June 2013 at www.csgiving.org.