The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA

January 4, 2011

QB drama top story at Penn State

By Genaro C. Armas
The Associated Press

— STATE COLLEGE — Up for grabs at the start of the 2010 campaign, the Penn State quarterback job remains a question mark as the offseason begins.

For a change, Joe Paterno's future doesn't top the list.

That's because former walk-on Matt McGloin's rags-to-riches story to the starting job ended with a dud. He had five interceptions in the 37-24 loss to Florida in the Outback Bowl.

What becomes of McGloin? Good question. But for now, the biggest stories are behind him. After all, McGloin passed two touted recruits in Kevin Newsome and Rob Bolden on the depth chart, and it's unclear as to whether either backup will remain in Happy Valley.

Newsome spoke with Paterno last month about his future, and didn't make the bowl trip. And Bolden's father was quoted Sunday by several media outlets, announcing his son's intentions to transfer.

"I've got to sit down with the coaches, and as a group, look at the tapes," Paterno said Sunday in Tampa about the starting quarterback job. "I don't know what I'm going to do until we have a chance to digest everything and I have a chance to spend a little time with the squad and the staff."

A spate of injuries and a reliance on younger players were partly to blame for the 7-6 finish, the team's worst record since going 4-7 in 2004.

"We had our moments where I was disappointed we didn't play a little better," Paterno said. "But other times, kids snapped back. They stayed with us. I thought, in a lot of ways, it was a very rewarding season. I'd like to have three more wins, but that's the way it goes."

Robert Bolden, Sr., was quoted Sunday as saying his son intended to transfer. But messages left Monday by The Associated Press were not immediately returned.

"If I had to do it over again, I'd probably try to get Bolden in there a little bit," Paterno said. "I think Bolden is a good prospect and he's probably a little discouraged."