The Daily Item
SELINSGROVE — On Saturday, Oct. 19, Selinsgrove will celebrate the restoration of the town clock on the corner of Market and Pine streets downtown. Seasoned Sound, an 18 piece swing band will perform from 1:45 to 4 p.m. in the Commons. SU Swings! club will dance in period costume.
Selinsgrove’s original “Town Clock” was installed in late January 1922 on the outside wall, between the two pillars of what was then the Farmer’s National Bank, at 12 N. Market Street (now the site of Pink Pin-Up Boutique and Beverley’s). The clock, with illuminated leaded stained glass faces, was manufactured by the O.B. McClintock Company of Minneapolis, Minn. and cost about $1,400. The Farmer’s National Bank relocated to the southwest corner of Market and Pine streets in June 1928. At that time, Fred and Edith Reichley bought the building at 12 N. Market Street and opened Reichley’s Candy Shoppe. They then removed the clock from their building and donated it to Farmer’s where it was placed on a large copper and steel post in the front of the newly constructed bank building.
In October 1942 the Snyder County Trust Company acquired the Farmer’s National Bank and subsequently changed the lettering on the clock doors. More recent mergers and acquisitions resulted in the current First National Bank owning the corner property and the old clock. In early 2011, the First National Bank donated the clock to Selinsgrove Projects, Inc.
The restoration of the clock to working condition was a project initiated by Cheri DeSiena, owner of Uniquely Sakura. Working with Selinsgrove Projects, Inc. DeSiena raised the necessary funds to fix the chimes by initiating a campaign to sell engraved bricks that have been placed in the sidewalk surrounding the clock. In all, over 90 bricks were sold. The purchasers of the bricks, as well as those who have donated their energy and time to the project, will be honored at the celebration on Oct. 19. DeSiena’s brother, Bob Young, took charge of the actual restoration, donating his skills, and completed the necessary work in the spring of 2012. More work was needed before the chimes would function properly and that restoration was recently completed. As part of the celebration the chimes will ring for the first time in many, many years. The public is invited to share in the festivities. (Rain location will be at The Post & Lintel.)