The Daily Item
SUNBURY — The warm glow of candle lanterns will light the way as guides conduct Lantern Tours at the site of Fort Augusta from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 19. The Northumberland County Historical Society will host this free event, which is open to the public, at its headquarters at 1150 N. Front St. in Sunbury. The Lantern Tours are educational, designed to appeal to all ages, and the final Living History program for 2013. Free will donations will be accepted.
Visitors will get a glimpse of the new model of Fort Augusta which is nearing completion and will also view the two remaining original fort features on the property, the well and the powder magazine, as well as the Hunter-Grant cemetery. Guides will discuss Fort Augusta’s history, the role of the soldiers at this important frontier installation, the story of Bloody Springs, and more. In addition, the Fort Augusta exhibit in the Hunter House will be open. It features an extensive collection of artifacts recovered on the fort site during various archaeological digs over the years. Volunteers will serve light refreshments.
Constructed by the British in 1756 as part of its defense against the French and Indians moving eastward from the Allegheny region, Fort Augusta was Pennsylvania’s largest provincial fort. It later served as the headquarters of American forces in the upper Susquehanna Valley during the Revolutionary War and protected area settlers from the attack of Native American tribes who were allies of the British. The fort was never under siege and was dismantled in 1794.