By Evamarie Socha
The Daily Item
— SUNBURY -- Market Street between Fourth and Second streets in Sunbury has reopened after a nearly hour shutdown this morning while the Sunbury Fire Department investigated a malfunctioning gas furnace at a doctor's office.
Albright Footcare Center at 214 Market St. reported a possible leak about 10 a.m. after a patient smelled gas in the building, Fire Chief Mike Rhoads told the Daily Item. That building was evacuated while first responders investigated.
The source turned out to be a gas furnace that was not functioning properly, Rhoads said. People were let back into the doctor's office about 10:45 a.m.
The road closure was needed, Rhoads said, to give the Sunbury Fire Dept. the best access to the building to check out the lead. There was no imminent danger to others or other structures in the immediate vicinity, he said.
Had there been a gas leak, the immediate area would have been evacuated, he said.
Americus Hose Co. EMTs also responded to the scene.