One in seven Americans has at least 10 credit cards. Here are 12 more amazing U.S. facts:
1. Alaska has the longest coastline in the United States at 6,640 miles.
2. Bristlecone pine trees, believed to be some of the world's oldest living things, are found in the western United States in California, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. The oldest of these trees is in California.
3. The only royal palace used by a monarch in the U.S. is located in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is the Iolani Palace and belonged to the monarchs King Kalakaua and Queen Lili'uokalani until the monarchy was overthrown in 1893.
4. Although English is the most commonly spoken language used in the U.S. and is the language used in government, the country has no official language.
5. The United States puts a higher percentage of its population in prison than any other nation on earth does.
6. The hottest temperature recorded in the United States (and in North America) was in Death Valley, California on July 10, 1913. The temperature measured 134°F (56°C).
7. The average supermarket in the United States wastes about 3,000 pounds of food each year.
8. Montana has three times as many cows as it does people.
9. Jimmy Carter was the first U.S. president to have been born in a hospital.
10. One out of every seven Americans has at least 10 credit cards.
11. There are three towns in the United States that have the name "Santa Claus".
12. There are more unemployed workers in the United States than there are people living in the entire nation of Greece.