NEW BERLIN —
By Rick Dandes
The Daily Item
POTTSGROVE — A fire that was purposefully set to burn trash in an open, dilapidated stone structure located literally on the Liberty Township/ Montour County line shot out of control Tuesday afternoon, necessitating several area fire companies to help put out the blaze.
“Luckily, our fire station is only about two minutes away,” said a relieved Brian Messersmith, Pottsgrove fire chief.
He said the first call came at 2 p.m.
“I don’t know the address here,” he admitted. “But as soon as I heard it was on the county line, I headed to this location.”
Messersmith said the fire got out of control and burned some of the surrounding brush. The stone structure is located near a cornfield, about 100 yards off Route 642.
The fire was extinguished within half an hour.
Assisting the Pottsgrove Fire Company were fire and rescue personnel from Liberty Township, Mahoning Township, Milton Borough, and Lewisburg.
Messersmith said no one was injured by the blaze.
Traffic on nearby Route 642 had to be reduced to one lane while fire company personnel put out the fire.
NEW BERLIN —
By Rick Dandes
Woman to face trial in drug-induced abortion case
DANVILLE — A Washingtonville woman charged with obtaining abortion-inducing drugs from overseas, resulting in a 16-year-old’s miscarriage, has waived her court arraignment.Continued ...
- Woman placed on probation stealing gift cards at Danville SPCA
- Proposal would allow state universities to exit the system
- 2 arrested, 1 sought in Lebanon County double fatal shooting
- Accuweather: 'Winter sandwich' on the way
- Most candidates for major state offices file papers today
- Police Reports
- Hunt for missing jet widens to distant waters
- Students mix toys, science during CSIU competition
- Midd-West student charged with making threat to kill teacher
- Milton and Watsontown leaders explore regional police idea
- Activists arrested in Philly over XL oil pipeline
- Woman to face trial in drug-induced abortion case
Things haven't come easy for the Mount Carmel girls
MOUNT CARMEL - There’s a stark difference between this season’s Mount Carmel girls basketball team and the similarly successful ones of recent years, besides the changing faces.Continued ...
- PHOTOS: Super 6 wrestling champions
- College wrestling: Bucknell junior makes school history
- College wrestling: Penn State claims Big Ten title
- Men's basketball: Minnesota defeats Penn State
- H.S. swimming: Seven area swimmers headed to states
- This is The Item: Sara Naessig and Becca Alberti
- Girls basketball: Mifflinburg falls in first round
- Boys basketball: Lewisburg falls on buzzer-beater
- AAA Wrestling: Shikellamy's Pepper takes fifth in the state
- Girls basketball: Bower girls lead Millville past Upper Dauphin
- Girls basketball: Scranton Prep's pressure is too much for Danville
- Things haven't come easy for the Mount Carmel girls