NEW BERLIN —
By Rick Dandes
The Daily Item
POTTSGROVE — A fire that was purposefully set to burn trash in an open, dilapidated stone structure located literally on the Liberty Township/ Montour County line shot out of control Tuesday afternoon, necessitating several area fire companies to help put out the blaze.
“Luckily, our fire station is only about two minutes away,” said a relieved Brian Messersmith, Pottsgrove fire chief.
He said the first call came at 2 p.m.
“I don’t know the address here,” he admitted. “But as soon as I heard it was on the county line, I headed to this location.”
Messersmith said the fire got out of control and burned some of the surrounding brush. The stone structure is located near a cornfield, about 100 yards off Route 642.
The fire was extinguished within half an hour.
Assisting the Pottsgrove Fire Company were fire and rescue personnel from Liberty Township, Mahoning Township, Milton Borough, and Lewisburg.
Messersmith said no one was injured by the blaze.
Traffic on nearby Route 642 had to be reduced to one lane while fire company personnel put out the fire.
NEW BERLIN —
By Rick Dandes
- Opening day a scream
- Gordner bill ends gift-card swap for convicts’ service
- Grandma slayer gets 20-60 years
- 2 Valley high schools in top 6% in nation
- Inmate dies in shower
- Good Morning Central Susquehanna Valley
- Online ed could be answer to school fiscal woes, Cohrs says
- Teen: I was just trying to get away, not hurt anyone
- Line Mountain contract meeting went well
- Joshua Snook sentenced in stabbing death of his grandmother
- Firefighter hurt fighting 5-alarm motel blaze near Reading
- Knoebels ready for opening weekend
H.S. roundup: Shikellamy's Nick Dunn tosses first career no-hitter
SUNBURY — If Shikellamy needed a spark to ignite the team going into the final few weeks of the season, Nick Dunn may have just provided it.Continued ...
- MMA: Tim Boetsch ready for Saturday's UFC fight
- Todd Hummel's track & field column: Seal's Auman expands repertoire
- H.S. baseball: Red-hot Midd-West wins seventh straight by topping Milton
- Girls basketball: Danville's Amber Renz named Player of the Year
- High School Roundup: Warrior Run softball romps to victory
- Jon Gerardi on softball: Bingaman brings record back to the family
- Track and Field: Selinsgrove boys, girls sweep Lewisburg
- Wrestler of the Year: Southern's Kent Lane has the eye of the tiger.
- High School Roundup: Brent's home run lifts Danville
- Baseball: Seals' Rapp quiets Southern's bats
- Boys Basketball: EJ's Lorenz, Coder named Daily Item Players of the Year
- H.S. roundup: Shikellamy's Nick Dunn tosses first career no-hitter
1 great reason to get out tonight!
Today's top local music picks:Continued ...
- Da Capo Chamber Players in Concert April 22
- Lewisburg Celebration of the Arts - The 45th Year
- This music is for the birds
- And the winners are:
- Entry deadline this weekend for Celebration of the Arts exhibits
- Innovative jazz pianist coming to area April 17
- Alumnus returns to SU for reading
- Jody Fallon — 10 years later
- The best place to hunt eggs
- What you missed recently at Daily Blast: Ukrainian Vader, 'Smaug,' 'Jaws,' intruding ducks
- Zakir Hussain and Masters of Percussion bring world music to Weis Center stage
- 1 great reason to get out tonight!