— City police are looking for a driver who positioned a wooden beam in the bed of his mid-1990s pickup truck to act as a battering ram, break two doors and burglarize Southside Bait and Tackle early Saturday morning. The beam protruding from the red Dodge’s 6-foot bed crashed through the doors of the shop just after 1 a.m., city police said. “Someone definitely put some thought into this,” officer Travis Bremigen said. Within six minutes, at least $2,500 in fishing equipment was stolen. The truck with black trim was last seen driving north on South Front Street. City police will review surveillance cameras positioned on South Front Street near Veterans Memorial Bridge. Shop owners Ken and Rose Maurer reported the break-in at 7 a.m., city police said. Attempts to reach the Maurers on Saturday were unsuccessful. Anyone with information is asked to call 988-4539.
Conflicting rulings on Obamacare
- Bail reduced for Bearden
- US airlines scrap Israel flights
- Mysterious white flags appear atop Brooklyn Bridge
- Mifflinburg honors its national fishing champs
- Newport official succeeds Snook in $94G-a-year post
- Report: Retaliation by supervisors common at VA
- $5,000 added for M-W restroom work
- Today's editorial: Dubious achievements in press secretary-ism
- Danville train diver left hospital 4 days before suicide
- Victim of rock-throwers making progress
- Another teen says he threw rock on I-80, too
- Conflicting rulings on Obamacare
Danville's Gronsky signs with Cardinals organization
It’s been a whirlwind past couple of weeks for Jake Gronsky, and it’s about to get headier for the Danville High grad.Continued ...
- Legion baseball: Line Mountain pulls out 12-11 victory at Region V tournament
- Susquehanna's Hotaling named a preseason All-American in football
- Softball: Danville Bandits 18U squad qualifies for World Series
- SU's Hotaling earns preseason All-America honors
- Baseball: Crosscutters' Fultz no stranger to big leagues
- American Legion: Line Mountain tops Hughesville in Region V tournament
- Motorsports: Dewease scores 300th career win in rain delayed Summer Nationals
- American Legion: Line Mountain falls in opener of Region 5 tournament
- Southern Columbia's Blake Marks named Daily Item Male Athlete of the Year
- Mount Carmel's Ali Varano named Daily Item's Female Athlete of the Year
- Motorsports: Hodnett claims win at Williams Grove
- Danville's Gronsky signs with Cardinals organization
Don't water your lawn in California, but don't let it turn brown either
LOS ANGELES — Laura Whitney and her husband, Michael Korte, don't know whether they're being good citizens during a drought or scofflaws.Continued ...
- New Headline This Photo!
- Black-and-white stripes are the new orange?
- Shipwreck yields array of gold coins
- Your chocolate addiction is only going to get more expensive
- Man using 'blowtorch' to kill spider burns laundry room
- Negative effect: Pilot drops 3,000-pingpong ball payload on highway
- Car thief piles up miles from Miami to Blaine, Wash.
- Plane's swastika banner spurs criticism around NYC
- Mountaintop removal for coal hurts water quality and harms fish, study says
- Don't water your lawn in California, but don't let it turn brown either
1 great reason to get out tonight!
Today's top local music picks:Continued ...
- 3 great reasons to get out tonight!
- Get your tickets now
- 3 great reasons to get out today!
- 12 great things to do today!
- Moses and the king to visit brewery
- Beyonce exhibit to debut at Rock Hall of Fame and Museum
- 11 great reasons to get out today!
- It’s a ‘beauty’
- County singer Hunter Hayes to headline US Open Kids’ Day
- Tables of contents at book sale
- 9 great reasons to get out today!
- 1 great reason to get out tonight!