Bucknell University’s campus radio station will move to a streaming-only platform and VIA Public Media will take over the terrestrial station as part of an agreement between the entities announced Thursday.

Bucknell’s WVBU 90.5 FM will take on a new name when it transitions to streaming-only, operating online as well as TuneIn Inc., according to a university press release. Programming will be finalized by the fall semester.

VIA Public Media operates WVIA-FM, an NPR affiliate which serves Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Central Susquehanna Valley. The media group will equip and maintain a studio on campus at Stuck House under the name, VIA Studio at Bucknell University. Stuck House is currently home to Bucknell student media organizations.

“We began exploring this collaboration after our students who are involved with Bucknell’s radio station voiced a strong preference for transitioning from a traditional, over-the-air broadcasting experience toward a contemporary and digitally-focused streaming platform,” said Brent Papson, director, campus activities and student media. “To support that area of growth and meet the needs of our students, we decided to enter into this exciting agreement with VIA Public Media which should provide benefits for both students and the broader community alike.”

The university touted the collaboration as an opportunity for informal and formal professional development and learning opportunities in news gathering and broadcasting, digital editing, radio production, regulatory compliance and other areas.

VIA Public Media will offer two internships to Bucknell students each semester and appoint a representative to serve on the university’s Student Media Advisory Board.

Federal Communications Commission approval is necessary to assign the WVBU-FM license to VIA Public Media. Once approved, the media group will oversee programming on 90.5 FM.

“This is a great partnership for both organizations and we here at VIA are looking forward to using this platform to further serve the communities of the Central Susquehanna Valley,” said Thomas M. Currá, president and chief executive officer, VIA Public Media.

Cliff Melberger is a Bucknell alumnus and helms the real estate development firm transforming the old Lewisburg High School and building townhouses to its rear. WVIA was tabbed as a tenant for the GreenSpace center at the old school but zoning issues and the benefits of teaming with Bucknell changed that plan, Melberger said.

“It’s great for them. There’s a lot of benefits to having WVIA in the area,” said Melberger, a former WVIA board member. “I think it’s going to be good for everybody.”

Trending Video