Robert Inglis/The Daily ItemLine Mountain-s Ryan Paul attempts to take down Danville-s Nick Perez at 125 pounds Wednesday.

DANVILLE -- As the seconds counted down in the 189-pound match of Wednesday's District 4 Class AA team dual meet tournament match between Line Mountain and Danville, both Kenny Rothermel of Line Mountain and Casey Klein of Danville were spent.

With the Ironmen leading the meet by one point and just two bouts remaining, one of the two needed to find one final burst of energy.

As the overtime started, Rothermel was the aggressor, grabbing Klein's leg, but he was unable to finish off his takedown. All of sudden Klein found his energy reserve as well, grabbing a quick ankle pick and turning it into the winning takedown 23 seconds into overtime.

Klein's victory, plus a fall by Dylan Dailey in the next match clinched Danville's 36-32 comeback victory over the Eagles at the Whitey McCloskey Center, propelling the Ironmen into Saturday's quarterfinals.

"Both of those boys were tired," Danville coach Ron Kanaskie said. "Casey really is a team-oriented wrestler, so I think he was aware of the situation. He's a mentally intense kid and he knew what had to be done."

The Ironmen (19-6) will face No. 2-seed Wyalusing (17-2), a 36-25 victor over Shamokin, in the quarterfinals at 11 a.m. on Saturday at Milton High School.

Line Mountain finishes the dual meet season at 7-4.

"There were four matches that we thought could go either way and Danville won all four," Line Mountain coach Mike Martz said. "Danville came to wrestle. They did a great job."

Wednesday night's match started at 103 pounds and the Eagles to took advantage in the lighter weights to open up a 26-12 lead after eight matches before Danville began to climb back into the meet.

Zach Vanderslice got a four-match winning streak started for the Ironmen at 152 pounds with a 13-10 victory over Cody Rebuck to pull Danville within 26-15.

After Garret Llewelyn picked up a forfeit at 160 pounds, Vlademir Hoeger took Patrick Whitehead to the mat and pinned him in 30 seconds to give the Ironmen their first lead of the match at 27-26.

"After we got that forfeit and Vlad used that spike to get the pin, that really got the crowd into the match," Kanaskie said. "That was a big lift for us."

That brought Rothermel and Klein to the mat at 189. Rothermel notched a first-period takedown to take a 2-0 lead after one. Klein escaped from the bottom to start the second and then got a takedown of his own to take a 3-2 lead into the final period. Rothermel escaped with about 1:20 left in regulation to tie it. Both wrestlers had a chance a winning takedown in the final minute of regulation, but neither couldn't finish them off.

Dailey followed with a fall at 215 pounds to clinch the bout, giving Danville a 36-26 lead.

"We've lost a couple of close matches this year. We have dual meet losses by three, four and five points this season. We knew this was going to be a close match," Kanaskie said. "The kids wanted to win a close meet."

Bryce Martz finished the match with a pin at heavyweight for the Eagles.

The Eagles started the match on fire. Zain Retherford and Seth Lansberry each picked up pins to open the evening for Line Mountain and after Ryan Paul added a major decision at 125 pounds Line Mountain led the dual meet 16-3 early on.

"We had everything going on our way. We started at 103 pounds. We won the toss," Martz said. "Danville came out and did what they had to do."

Trending Video

Recommended for you